May 8, 2009

misogyny as altruistic endeavor

Recently, I had a conversation with some guys about childbearing and I brought up the fact that it's inherently selfish to have a child. They freaked out. One expressed how having a child is altruistic in nature and I had the unexpected pleasure of sharing with him how nothing altruistic is 100% altruistic and having children? What's so altruistic about that?

That led us to the point of "well, life has to continue". Mmmm. Okay. That mentality signifies the selfishness of life, in general, which can lead to "proof" of the selfishness of reproduction. These guys were under the (mistaken) impression that women exist to procreate and they had the Bible verses ready to back up their opinions.

Oh, my. The incomprehensible agony of dealing with religious rhetoric. Especially as it pertains to the purpose of female human beings. I thought it pertinent to share my enlightenment on the issue: women do not exist to have children. And, if it's so, what other proof do you have of it besides your silly religious doctrines?

The conversation came to an abrupt end.

Male humans really are some of the silliest creatures on this planet. It's too bad the convo had to end so quickly, because I can argue the purpose of women all day long.

And, it sure as fuck ain't to have kids.

1 comment:

The Original Wombman said...

Indeed. Sheesh.

I come from a culture where not having children as a woman is really almost the end of the world. Read a really sad book by Buchi Emecheta (Joys of Motherhood) which was really enlightening but also depressing.

We as woman are INHERENTLY valuable not because of what we can push out of our bodies. You keep telling it like it is, sis., and I will too.