April 28, 2009

community

Ee gads. I really need to learn to let some things go.

Years ago, after the birth of my fourth child, I volunteered to coordinate a forum for the UU church I was attending. It turned out that dealing with the people who had coordinated it in the past (and who didn't want to coordinate it that year) annoyed the hell out of me, so I baled. They ended up not having the forum that year. I felt guilty.

Now, I'm working on getting back involved in my community and I'm afraid I'll flake, again. I'm going to take it slowly this time...no jumping in with both feet naive to the ways of the folks already around.

I went to a civil rights meeting tonight for the first time in years. I didn't know anyone, but there were only five other people there, so it was okay. I'm going to volunteer in the PRIDE events coming up. We'll see how I vibe with these people and go from there.

Note to self: Go slowly!

I like to just jump in and go. I get bored easily and quickly, so if I can't find a way to be super-useful immediately, I take my toys...er, talents and go home. One thing I feel life is trying to teach me is patience.

But, I don't have the patience for patience.

We'll see how this goes. The folks I met tonight seemed cool. A couple stayed behind after the meeting and chatted with me. When I sit back and think about my interactions with people I can see how overwhelming I am. Intensity is a double-edged sword.

No comments: